RESCUE FOR REC BOATERS
1-DAY AND 2-DAY OPTIONS: June 4 & 5, 2022
- 2620 Highway 155 SW, Stockbridge, GA 30281 (33.623400 , -084.172800) with optional boat rental for $30
- 6/5/22 | River Day | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Akers Mill/West Palisades Trail on the Chattahochee River in Atlanta, GA (33.89171606019813, -84.44448814943941) with optional PFD rental for $20 (no boat required)
Rescue for Rec Boaters is an entry-level safety and rescue class for paddlers who plan on paddling flat water lakes and slow moving rivers. A comprehensive Safety & Rescue class for lake and Class I river paddlers is a rare offering in this region, so we are excited to offer it to you!
This class is a game changer for new and experienced paddlers alike. The curriculum is built from tried and true techniques utilized in higher level training for sea kayakers and whitewater paddlers which has been dialed in to the most useful information and techniques for entry level paddlers in Georgia.
This class is not intended for paddlers who plan to paddle advanced ocean conditions or Class II or higher whitewater rivers. This is not a paddling class; if you do not have basic paddling skills, you are welcome in this class but we also encourage you to sign up for Intro to Kayaking or Intro to River Kayaking to learn techniques for boat control.
Your instructors will be ACA (American Canoe Association) certified River Rescue or River Kayaking Instructors. The class will contain lectures, group discussions, demonstrations and lots of actual hands-on practice where you will learn how to rescue yourself, how to rescue someone else, how to be rescued by someone else…and how to avoid problems in the first place!
For additional information contact Andrea White.
LOGISTICS: LAKE DAY
LOGISTICS: RIVER DAY
Basic swimming and paddling ability.*
*Kids aged 10+ are welcome if accompanied by a parent or guardian and if they can swim and paddle independently.
- Boat/Paddlecraft (*only required on Lake Day; not required on River Day)
- PFD/Life Jacket
- Clothing suitable for swimming (poly pro materials; no cotton)
- Closed toe footwear that will not come off while swimming and offers traction on rocks (old sneakers work great)
- Camp chair, lunch, water bottle, sunscreen, snacks
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: LAKE DAY (OPTIONAL)
- Boat flotation bags and bilge pump (for sit inside kayaks)
- Paddle float
- Tubular webbing
- Waist-belt tow rope
- Dry bag/dry box
- Strap for glasses
- Rain jacket
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: RIVER DAY (OPTIONAL)
- Throw rope
- Strap for glasses
- Prusik loops
- Locking carabiners
- Hiking shoes for the hike in/out
- Rain jacket
REGISTRATION CHANGES / REFUNDS
You can make changes to your order through May 25 by logging back into the system with the password you created to update your orders.. No refunds will be issued after May 25.
SUPPORTING GEORGIA RIVER NETWORK
Georgia River Network is a 501(c)3 organization founded in 1998 to serve as the voice of Georgia’s rivers. GRN works to empower everyone to connect with, and advocate for economically vital and clean flowing rivers in Georgia. Your class fees will contribute to this effort statewide.
a project of
Georgia River Network
126 South Milledge Avenue, Suite E3, Athens, Georgia 30605 | (706) 549-4508 (phone) | firstname.lastname@example.org