RESCUE FOR REC BOATERS
1-DAY AND 2-DAY OPTIONS: SEPT. 25 & 26
- 9/25/21 | Lake Day | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Galts Ferry Landing at Allatoona Lake (34.13062403333182, -84.64387454672845) with optional boat rental for $30
- 9/26/21 | River Day | 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Akers Mill/West Palisades Trail on the Chattahochee River in Atlanta, GA (33.89171606019813, -84.44448814943941) with optional PFD rental for $20 (no boat required)
- Cost: $75 per day or $125 for both days
Rescue for Rec Boaters is an entry-level safety and rescue class for paddlers who plan on paddling flat water lakes and slow moving rivers. A comprehensive Safety & Rescue class for lake and Class I river paddlers is a rare offering in this region, so we are excited to offer it to you!
This class is a game changer for new and experienced paddlers alike. The curriculum is built from tried and true techniques utilized in higher level training for sea kayakers and whitewater paddlers which has been dialed in to the most useful information and techniques for entry level paddlers in Georgia.
This class is not intended for paddlers who plan to paddle advanced ocean conditions or Class II or higher whitewater rivers. This is not a paddling class; if you do not have basic paddling skills, you are welcome in this class but we also encourage you to sign up for Intro to Kayaking or Intro to River Kayaking to learn techniques for boat control.
Your instructors will be ACA (American Canoe Association) certified River Rescue or River Kayaking Instructors. The class will contain lectures, group discussions, demonstrations and lots of actual hands-on practice where you will learn how to rescue yourself, how to rescue someone else, how to be rescued by someone else…and how to avoid problems in the first place!
For additional information contact Andrea White.
LOGISTICS: LAKE DAY
We will meet at 9 a.m. at Galts Ferry Landing at Lake Allatoona near picnic table #35 (between the two parking lots and behind the building with the bathroom facilities). There is a $5 parking fee.
Bring a camp chair, your lunch and plenty of water. We will meet on land for 2-3 hours of “classroom” learning before moving to the on water training after lunch.
Plan for full immersion during our on-the-water training. We will be swimming!
Life jackets will be worn anytime we are within 10’ of the lake or are on the water. Please leave unsecured valuables and jewelry in your car or at home.
LOGISTICS: RIVER DAY
We will meet at 9 a.m. at the Akers Mill/West Palisades Trail on the Chattahoochee River in Atlanta, GA (2301 Akers Drive).
We will gather at the picnic tables for several hours of “classroom” learning. Please bring a camp chair, your lunch and plenty of water.
After lunch we will hike approx. 1/2 mile to the river. It is a moderately difficult trail and we will take our time so everyone can stay together; you will want good hiking shoes for the walk. We will hike 1/2 mile back out at the end of day.
Plan for full immersion during our on-the-water training. We will be swimming! Please leave unsecured valuables and jewelry in your car or at home.
Life jackets will be worn anytime we are within 10’ of the river or are on the water. You will need a paddle and life jacket — but not a boat — on River Day.
Basic swimming and paddling ability.*
*Kids aged 10+ are welcome if accompanied by a parent or guardian and if they can swim and paddle independently.
- Boat/Paddlecraft (*only required on Lake Day; not required on River Day)
- PFD/Life Jacket
- Clothing suitable for swimming (poly pro materials; no cotton)
- Closed toe footwear that will not come off while swimming and offers traction on rocks (old sneakers work great)
- Camp chair, lunch, water bottle, sunscreen, snacks
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: LAKE DAY (OPTIONAL)
- Boat flotation bags and bilge pump (for sit inside kayaks)
- Paddle float
- Tubular webbing
- Waist-belt tow rope
- Dry bag/dry box
- Strap for glasses
- Rain jacket
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: RIVER DAY (OPTIONAL)
- Throw rope
- Strap for glasses
- Prusik loops
- Locking carabiners
- Hiking shoes for the hike in/out
- Rain jacket
Please review the following and be prepared to help us minimize the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus during the event.
Before the Event
- If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, please stay home.
- If you are an older adult or you have a serious underlying medical condition, please consider staying at home.
- Before embarking on a trip, please consider being tested for COVID-19 to ensure that you are not carrying the virus.
- During travel to and from the event, minimize your contact with other people and always wear a face covering when social-distancing guidelines can not be followed.
- Maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times
- Where a face covering when unable to practice social distancing (at launch site, restrooms, etc.)
- Do not share equipment, food, water and other supplies
REGISTRATION CHANGES / REFUNDS
You can make changes to your order through September 22 by logging back into the system with the password you created to update your orders. Please keep track of your login info! Full refunds will be provided for COVID-19 related issues through the date of the event. Non-COVID-19 related cancellations will be refunded less 10 percent through September 22. No refunds will be issued for non-COVID-19 related issues after September 22.
SUPPORTING GEORGIA RIVER NETWORK
Georgia River Network is a 501(c)3 organization founded in 1998 to serve as the voice of Georgia’s rivers. GRN works to empower everyone to connect with, and advocate for economically vital and clean flowing rivers in Georgia. Your class fees will contribute to this effort statewide.
Paddle Georgia 2021
a project of
Georgia River Network
126 South Milledge Avenue, Suite E3, Athens, Georgia 30605 | (706) 549-4508 (phone) | firstname.lastname@example.org