Strengthening & Stretching for KAYAKING
- ptional boat/paddle/PFD rental available from Bear Creek Marina for $33)
- Registration opens March 1 for all classes
If you are preparing for GRN’s 7-day Paddle Georgia event, or just a 1-day fun paddle, learning some appropriate stretches and strengthening exercises can increase your enjoyment. You’ll end your event strong and relaxed, with loose muscles and a smile on your face.
The class will include a review of the warm-ups and review of posture, a short paddle to a nearby waterfall and back, and a cool down.
- Brief stretching options to do before a paddle
- Quick post paddle stretches and cooling down
- Exercises to build your capacity between paddle trips
- Optimal posture in the kayak
ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Janina Edwards is an American Canoe Association certified Level 2 River Kayaking and Level 2 Coastal Kayaking instructor with an instructor endorsement as a Paddlesports Safety Facilitator. In addition, she is a certified yoga instructor with 10 years experience teaching. Janina also leads hikes and kayaking events with Outdoor Afro.
SUPPORTING GEORGIA RIVER NETWORK
Georgia River Network is a 501(c)3 organization founded in 1998 to serve as the voice of Georgia’s rivers. GRN works to empower everyone to connect with, and advocate for economically vital and clean flowing rivers in Georgia. Your class fees will contribute to this effort statewide.
WHAT TO BRING AND HOW TO PREPARE
- We will start promptly at noon, so please eat lunch before you arrive. Bring lots of water to stay hydrated all afternoon and feel free to bring snacks that fit in your life jacket.
- Every participant will be required to wear a US Coast Guard approved Type III life jacket anytime we are within 10 feet of the water or are out on the water. There will be no exceptions.
- DO NOT WEAR COTTON. Poly pro materials that are quick wicking are far more preferable. You will also need shoes that cover your toes, attach at the ankles and give you good traction on rocky river beds. In a pinch, old tennis shoes work well.
- Please bring a camp chair, a yoga mat, straw mat or very small tarp. You will put it back in your car before we go on the water.
- Every participant will need a kayak, paddle and life jacket. Rentals from Bear Creek Marina are available during registration for an additional $33.
- You should also bring sunscreen, bug spray and a strap for your glasses.
- Other gear that will come in handy if you have it available: whistle for your life jacket, paddle float, sea kayaker’s tow rope, tubular webbing, floatation bags/beach balls (for sit inside kayaks), bilge pump, rain jacket (just in case), dry box or dry bag for your valuables.
Paddle Georgia 2022
a project of
Georgia River Network