PADDLE GEORGIA 2019
PADDLE GEORGIA 2019 CANOE-A-THON
We’re expecting this to be our best journey yet, so loosen up those muscles, ready the dry bags and get ready to shove off!
BUT FIRST…go out and raise some money for Georgia River Network (GRN) through the Paddle Georgia Canoe-A-Thon!
Paddle Georgia’s Canoe-A-Thon raises critical funds that allow Georgia River Network to work for clean, healthy rivers. Each participant is asked to solicit donations on a per-mile basis. Canoe-A-thoners compete for gifts and prizes and can become eligible for priority registration for the next Paddle Georgia trip.
The Canoe-A-Thon works just like a walk-a-thon. Ask prospective donors to sponsor you at a specific amount for each of the miles you’ll be paddling during Paddle Georgia 2019, Fall Float, or Spring on the Satilla. The money you raise goes to support Georgia River Network’s efforts to…
- Engage people in enjoying and protecting their rivers
- Support more than 30 local river protection groups across the state with financial grants, training and professional assistance
- Influence state legislators and decision makers to establish policies that protect our rivers
Funds raised will be used to provide grants to Satilla Riverkeeper (Spring on the Satilla) Flint Riverkeeper (Fall Float on the Flint) and Paddle GA 2019 beneficiary groups (TBA).
Paddle Georgia Canoe-A-Thon grants have been used by local river protection groups to:
- Build new canoe and kayak launches
- Establish water trails and install information kiosks at river access points
- Conduct water monitoring to identify pollution problems
- Eliminate pollution problems
Paddle Georgia Canoe-A-Thon Prizes!
Help Georgia’s rivers and win great prizes while you’re doing it! 2019 prizes will be listed as they are secured. This is what we had for 2018!
- Liquid Logic Kayak and other merchandise from Nomadic Flow Outfitters
(1) “New Plastic” because who doesn’t like some new plastic on the river? Winner will receive a brand new mojito 2018 Liquidlogic Kayak Marvel 12 complete with the most comfortable seat in the industry, dry storage in the stern, paddle holder, gear bungees, adjustable foot pegs and more! Perfect addition to any paddler’s fleet!
(2) “The Angler” winner will receive all that they need to get their kayak ready to create some fun fishing stories! Package includes various Yak Attack accessories like the BlackPak w/ tube rod holders, Retractor, 8″ Gear Tracks x2, Omega Rod Holder, Hat, Coosie and Werner Paddle’s Tybee fishing paddle.
(3) “The Essentials” this package will include everything a paddler needs to make their river days more enjoyable! Winner will receive Accent Paddles Go paddle, Astral Ronny(men) or Linda(women) PFD and a medium insulated cooler from IceMule Coolers.
(4) “The Photographer” this package includes everything the pros use to transport their expensive cameras into the wettest and harshest environments! Winner will receive the Watershed Ocoee Duffel dry bag complete with the padded liner, padded divider set for cameras/lens, shoulder strap and some Watershed swag!
- Overnight stay at the Len Foote Hike Inn
- Astral V Eight PFD
- Explorer Certificate from Friends of GA State Parks
- Gear from Patagonia
How to Get Your Canoe-A-Thon Started
We have made it easier than ever to solicit donations from friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and, yes, even strangers by signing-up for FirstGiving, an online service for event-based fundraising. Here’s how it works:
Option 1 – Raise Funds Online (of course, the best option):
- Go to http://www.firstgiving.com/garivers/paddle-georgia-canoeathon-2019
- Click on Join Now to set-up your account.
- Create your account by completing all the screens.
- Complete your very own fundraising page for Paddle Georgia Canoe-A-Thon, complete with pictures. (Make sure you use jpg or gif files.)
- Use the special features of your FirstGiving account to add photos, You Tube videos, link to Flickr or Facebook, or email all your friends.
- Make your first gift (to yourself) to see dollars in your account (or ask your biggest supporter to make your first donation now)
- Email everyone you know, pass the word in-person, make phone calls and direct everyone to your Canoe-A-Thon page to contribute online.
- Watch the dollars roll in!
- Email Dana at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 706-549-4508 if you have any questions about FirstGiving or need help.
- For those folks who prefer the old way, go to option 2, but keep us posted on your fundraising activities.
Option 2 – Raise Funds Offline:
- Print out the Pledge Form(PDF) or use the pledge form.
- Solicit donations on a per-mile basis. For instance, a $1 pledge would equal a $95 donation!
- Collect money at the time of solicitation.
- Mail checks in to Georgia River Network as you receive them or turn your treasure trove in to us when you arrive at Paddle Georgia.
- Prizes will be awarded to those participants generating the most money. Winners will be announced during the week of Paddle Georgia.
Priority Registration Rules and Policies
The top 250 Canoe-A-Thon fundraisers who raise at least $300 will be eligible to register for Paddle Georgia 2019 during a special priority registration period before regular open registration begins in Feb. 2019. For families, $300 must be raised per adult for priority registration.
The 2019 Canoe-A-Thon has already started and will go through July 31, 2019.
If you choose, you can contribute to your own Canoe-A-Thon.
By participating in the Canoe-A-Thon, you help us accomplish two important goals of Paddle Georgia–introducing more people to our beautiful rivers and raising more money to protect these precious resources.
Virtual Paddler Canoe-A-Thon Participants
For those of you who cannot directly participate in Paddle Georgia but still want to support the event and Georgia River Network and the local watershed group, you can still participate in Canoe-A-Thon by being a virtual paddler. Just set up your Canoe-A-Thon page the same way and tell people you will be with the other paddlers in spirit.