Healthy Rivers for All Georgians is Our Goal
Founded in 1998, Georgia River Network serves as the voice of Georgia's rivers and works to empower everyone to enjoy, connect with, and advocate for economically vital and clean flowing rivers. We connect citizens to Georgia's rivers by providing fun, meaningful and educational water adventures. This is often where responsible river stewardship begins. We are also the only organization in Georgia that provides specialized water trail development assistance and closely monitors Georgia's water policies at a statewide level. To view our 2015 accomplishments, go here! Georgia River Network works for clean water in partnership with the Georgia Water Coalition by serving on its leadership team. You may also know us as the organizers of Paddle Georgia, the largest week long river trip of its kind in the nation, where we traverse down a different Georgia river each June. We also maintain the Georgia Water Trails Website, which is a one stop shop for all of the state's information pertaining to its water trails. Scroll down to see how Georgia River Network is protecting YOUR rivers!
Read Testimonials about our Work!
ENGAGE with Georgia's Rivers!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS for October 29th, Athens's Annual Wild Rumpus Parade & Spectacle!
This year's Halloween Mardi-Gras is especially exciting because Georgia River Network is the official 2016 charity recipient! Join us and other Athenians for a day filled with fun events and activities! To start off the weekend, there will be the Monster Mash, a family-friendly event for all ages! To kick off the 29th, there will be the Pre-Party Meetup, the Big Parade, and the After-Party!
Come show off your spookiest or silliest costume and march through the streets of downtown with your fellow Wild Things!!
Learn more here: www.wildrumpus.org
Georgia River Network is Excited to Announce our 2017 Event Line-up!
- Feb 12, 2017 – Brews Boats and BBQ - Our annual kickoff paddle party hosted by Sweetwater Brewery allows paddlers to mingle with one another and meet GRN staff, while enjoying delicious food, live music and brews!
- March 30 - April 2, 2017 – Spring on the Satilla - This 2 day paddling event will take place on the beautiful Satilla River this spring.
- April 28-29 – Weekend for Rivers - Our Annual Conference that provides an opportunity for all of Georgia's river lovers, recreationists and advocates to gather and network, learn from each other, and celebrate our state's glorious rivers!
- May 20-21, 2017 – Little River Hidden Gem - Our Hidden Gem events highlight a developing water trail for a short day trip or weekend paddle/ camping trip.
- June 16-23, 2017 – Paddle Georgia (Etowah River) - Paddle Georgia is GRN's trademark event, the week-long paddle along our favorite rivers. The Etowah River will make for one of our best Paddle Georgia's yet.
- Sep 14, 2017 – Hike Inn - This annual hiking trip is a favorite for our members.
- Oct 6-8, 2017 – Fall Float - The Fall Float is an event during the fall every year, which is a 3-day paddle that paddlers from all over the nation attend.
- Nov 11-12, 2017 – St. Mary’s Hidden Gem - Our second Hidden Gem of the year will feature the St. Mary's Water Trail in late fall.
Each challenge will incorporate self-health, while also educating participants about the health of our rivers, and what can be done to make sure they’re clean and beautiful! The money that each participant raises will go toward the efforts that Georgia River Network is making to encourage river health and people like you to get out and enjoy them! First place is a FREE registration for our next Hidden Gem Paddle on the Lower Oconee in September, with more prizes for the runner-up fundraisers! Check out the Healthy Rivers, Healthy You website to learn more about how you can become #riverhealthy.
EMPOWER other River Groups!
Another way we promote Water Trails is by highlighting these up and coming water trails through our Hidden Gems Paddling Series. We partner with local river groups, water trail groups, community groups, government agencies... you name it... to provide educational presentations during the paddles to raise awareness and funds for each water trail we choose for our paddle series. Click on the link to learn more about our Hidden Gems Paddling Series schedule for 2016, including our Lower Oconee Hidden Gem Paddle and Campout on September 17-18.
ADVOCATE for Clean Water in Georgia!
We could not agree more with EPD. And so we ask the agency's leadership to work with us to protect all of Georgia's rivers and streams with riparian buffers, even those rivers and streams lacking "wrested vegetation." All of these waters deserve equal protection." - Chris Manganeillo, GRN's Policy Director
To read this blog in its entirety, go to https://gawaterwire.wordpress.com. If you are interested in learning more about how you can help protect Georgia's rivers, give us a call. We would love to speak with you.
Georgia River Network's Online Store
This is the latest of Georgia River Network's river user's guidebooks. With this handbook, river explorers will find all the information needed to embark on a Broad River journey, including detailed maps, put in/take out suggestions, fishing and camping locations, mile-by-mile points of interest, and an illustrated natural history guide to help identify animals and plants commonly seen in and around the river. Click here to learn more.
GRN is a member group of EarthShare of Georgia — a non-profit federation of over 60 Georgia non-profits, all of which work to educate, conserve, or protect our air, land, and water throughout Georgia.
View our Homepage Archive